Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Pics Yuichi horn with Altec 288

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member atilsley's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 15th, 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    196
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Pics Yuichi horn with Altec 288

    Finally got started on this exciting new project for myself.

    It will feature:

    Bass: Eminence Lab12 driver in 80 liter ported cabinet. I?ve completed the cabinet?have used lovely 18mm Euro Birch Ply for the outer, with a second layer of standard 18mm ply on the inside. Two horizontal and one small vertical brace added. The front baffle is three layers of 18mm ply, total 54mm thick.

    Port is 4 inch diameter at 500mm length, opening to the side. This small cabinet is very heavy?and should act as a great bass solution, which will extend up to 150Hz.

    Mid bass: 12 inch full range design (Similar vintage Phillips), 98dB, in sealed cab, 150hz-500hz.

    Mid: Yuichi 290Hz wooden horn to be made by myself, using CNC?d 24mm Euro Birch ply. I have already got the CAD drawings made up?.and have added some tweaks to the design including dowel holes for easy alignment of parts. The 290Hz is the largest horn in the Yuichi range?635mm wide x 400mm deep x 230mm tall. This will operate from 500/550Hz up.

    http://www.geocities...n_Speakers.html

    The trickiest part of this build will be hand machining (plane and sander) of the large horizontal curve at the horn mouth. Down the track, I?ll improve the design by using 3D router.

    Mid driver. This is the MASSIVE Altec 288 1.4 inch large format compression driver?. I have a pair of these pristine drivers for use. I cannot believe the weight and size?14Kgs each?about the size of a volley ball. I have the 16ohm model, with about 110dB efficiency.

    Tweeter: TBA, potentially JBL slot type, or, depending on how I go with building the Yuichi 290, I may build the petite Yuichi 1,000Hz horn and use dedicated one-inch compression driver.

    http://www.geocities...rn/A1K/A1K.html

    Crossovers. I have MiniDSP to manage the bass?but will use passive components for the mid horn and tweeter.

    Amp: This is the exciting part?I have ordered a custom six channel amp from Anthony Holton at Holton Precision Audio (Aussie Amplifers), which is 6 x 100 watts of quality Mosfet gear. Four channels will be bridged into two to drive the Lab12?s, as these are only 89dB efficient. I will piggy back the mid horn and tweeters off the remaining two channels.

    http://www.aussieamp...com/gallery.htm

    Certainly a lot of fun ahead?.as I?ve been deliberating over this for some time?and I think I have the making of a really classy system.

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member atilsley's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 15th, 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    196
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Pics Yuichi horn with Altec 288

    Tonight I had a few extra amps to play with...so presently trying 2A3 SET with the Altecs.....very nice.

    MiniDSP crossing at 450Hz...temporary using powered Fostex monitors for bass...quite a nice and simple two-way already.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  3. #3
    Hostboard Member
    Pics Yuichi horn with Altec 288


    edharbur's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 19th, 2010
    Posts
    62
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Pics Yuichi horn with Altec 288

    The Yuichi horns look great! Is there any way I can talk you out of a set of CAD drawings?

    Thanks,

    Ed

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member mah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 28th, 2008
    Posts
    2,003
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Pics Yuichi horn with Altec 288

    Yuichi drawings: Speaker Drawings (pdf files only)


    Yuichi Home Page: Yuichi's Audio Lab.
    Opinion is only as valid as its verifiable supporting evidence.

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member atilsley's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 15th, 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    196
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Pics Yuichi horn with Altec 288

    Quote Originally Posted by edharbur View Post
    The Yuichi horns look great! Is there any way I can talk you out of a set of CAD drawings?

    Thanks,

    Ed
    Yes, PM sent.

  6. #6
    Hostboard Member
    Pics Yuichi horn with Altec 288


    edharbur's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 19th, 2010
    Posts
    62
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Pics Yuichi horn with Altec 288

    Thanks, the Yuighi site has some great looking stuff. Another future project!

    Ed

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member amandarae's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 12th, 2008
    Posts
    259
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Pics Yuichi horn with Altec 288

    Quote Originally Posted by atilsley View Post
    Tonight I had a few extra amps to play with...so presently trying 2A3 SET with the Altecs.....very nice.

    MiniDSP crossing at 450Hz...temporary using powered Fostex monitors for bass...quite a nice and simple two-way already.
    Very nice! I'll wager that the horn sounds better than the Altec's on a room this size especially on 2A3 amps. I tried several of Altec horns in a considerable amount of time, always experimenting, and on my amps (all single ended 45,213/300B) the conical or JMLC expansion horns sound much better to me. IMHO.
    Last edited by amandarae; October 17th, 2013 at 07:16 PM.
    QNME In Retro!

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member atilsley's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 15th, 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    196
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Pics Yuichi horn with Altec 288

    Quote Originally Posted by amandarae View Post
    Very nice! I'll wager that the horn sounds better than the Altec's on a room this size especially on 2A3 amps. I tried several of Altec horns in a considerable amount of time, always experimenting, and on my amps (all single ended 45,213/300B) the conical or JMLC expansion horns sound much better to me. IMHO.
    Thanks...I'm really enjoying the horn.

    The other day, I added Jenzen cap to create first order pasive on the horn, crossed at 600Hz. The MiniDSP is looking after the bass and mid bass.

    2A3 SET on horns...nice.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.